Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stardom Bound Wins a Thriller

Before the weekend, I said that I would save my breath and tell all of you to bet Stardom Bound. Well, that worked, but not as easily as I would have expected. The filly had to circle the field in the stretch and just clipped the wire by a whisker.

Before this race, here connections had been talking about the Kentucky Derby, but I'm guessing now that the Kentucky Oaks is where we'll eventually see her. Also still in the air is whether she will run in the Santa Anita Derby as previously mentioned.

It's hard to get a good read on what happened here. She broke rather slowly, although that's commonplace for her. She stalked the field as usual, and had to go nine wide off the final turn to get the job done. That said, it wasn't her normal performance, and I heard Mike Smith say that she felt unfocused.

Personally, I'm still a big fan, and I still would love to see her run in the SA Derby. I've watched this race a couple of times now, and I think maybe her trip was tougher than it looks, so maybe more credit is due. I'm certainly interested to see the Beyer figures on it.

In case you missed it, here's the replay:


No comments:

Post a Comment